Rest Week

I always look forward to Rest Week.  My current programme gives me the 4th week in every month off, so I have 3 weeks of expanding my riding then a week when I'll hardly ride at all.

Am I wasting a week?  How can not riding my bike help improve my riding?

Mmm, well, the first thing to say is that I really need the week off.  After 3 weeks of pushing and forcing myself to do as much as I can, to ride when I'm tired, getting on the bike when I'm aching still from the last ride, I really need to stop.

I can push myself harder because I know I've got a rest week coming.

Rest isn't just for the body either - the mind needs a rest from all the striving, all the keeping going, all the ignoring of pain.  It can be wearing to take the strain day after day so mentally I need to take some time out.

And when I come back to training for the next 3 weeks I'll have new enthusiasm, and hopefully will notice additional physical capacity - the rest will give me a mini-peak.